24 May, 2012

Keep Calm and Get Inked

I am a good, white, suburban, Christian girl, and I am obsessed with tattoos.
My father is probably rolling over in his grave right now.  He barely wanted me to get my ears double pierced, I doubt he ever would have been okay with me getting inked.  Especially at sixteen, which is when I got my first tattoo.  My father passed away from lung cancer when I was in seventh grade, and I just always knew that I would get a tattoo in memory of him someday.  So my mother went with me to get it done a week before my seventeenth birthday, and now I have his name in Chinese on my left shoulder.  Fast forward a few years later, and I am in the tattoo studio again, this time getting the words 'Awake My Soul' on my right food because it was the Mumford and Sons song played at my church during the service that inspired me to get baptized.  So here I am, recently turned 20, and I have two tattoos.  And I want more.
I love tattoos.  I would never get covered, I want to be professional if need be.  However, I just love the meaning of them.  The fact that something is so important to someone that they want to carry it with them all day, every day, for the rest of their life, is truly beautiful in my opinion.  I hate tattoos of Tweety Bird or something stupid like that.  Tattoos that have meaning and are done right are the ones I'm talking about.  I already have about four more tattoos in mind.  I don't know if I'll actually get all of them, but I've just come to this point in my life where I've realized what truly matters to me, and I want people to know.  I want to show off the fact that I am a believer in Christ.  I love my Chinese tattoo, because I get to pay respects to my father every day.
I hate straightforward tattoos. My tattoos (already existing and future) all have direct correlation to what they stand for, but its just in a different way so I have to explain it to you.  I love that my tattoos are just that, MINE.  NO ONE ELSE in the entire world has my father's name tattooed on them.  Someone else probably has the words Awake My Soul from the Mumford song, but I doubt anyone else has it with a Christian meaning because it inspired them to get baptized.  I also doubt that anyone else is going to get words from Le Petit Prince because of the reason I want to get mine.  My tattoos are my permanent statement of what matters in my life, and I do not regret them one bit.  Tattoos are a big deal and shouldn't be gotten on a whim.  But if you think it through and get it done right, a tattoo can be one of the best purchases you will ever make.
Il faut bien que je supporte deux
ou trois chenilles si je veux
connaitre les papillons.

No comments:

Post a Comment